Next다음 문서

크게 작게 위로 아래로 댓글로 가기 인쇄

Prayer requests:

Continued progress with language acquisition

Drive from Christ for all my motivation

Decision making for next year

To correctly choose between outreach opportunities

More miracles and divine appointments with the people here

Church leadership strength and discernment (Mrs. and Mr. Kang)

Two days from now will mark the 6th month since I arrived in Japan. At times it's felt kind of slow, probably because of the nature of the work here, which can seem monotonous at times. But it is amazing to think back and realize that half of this journey is already over. This provides a good chance for serious reflection, to evaluate again my goals and how things have gone so far, so I can prepare to make the next 6 months the best they can be.

Time for interesting cultural notes again! (Raise the roof all you anthropologiphiles out there!)

-Being that Japan is a cold climate culture (see older posts for explanation) on top of a warm climate, often you see varying times of inter-personal interaction. Sometimes people are very isolated and keep to themselves, have closed doors, and are private. But in old times, they were warm, and community based. Where I'm staying used to be a very rural area, so those who have been here a long time still act that way. There's a woman from my cul-de-sac whom I don't know, who the other day when I left, told me "Come back soon!" A typical phrase you say when a family member goes out of the house. I love that! It was a great feeling to hear her say that, so I decided to start up again myself. When I first got here, I said hi and made small talk with more strangers, but weirdness of it all for most Japanese squeezed it out of me. This has made for a few friendly replies, but usually strange stares. Boo-yah!

-There is something called "Exercise day" for preschool, elementary, and middle school kids. For about a month, for hours a day, they practice choreographed dances, races, and games that they will perform in front of the parents. This just happened and I was amazed at how elaborate it was. I was told that some parents choose their kids' preschool based on how good the performance is, associating it with obedience or something.

-When I met a guy a while back, I said we should eat together some time, and he immediately opposed it. I don't know if it was how I said it, or my words, but then he said in Japanese "ah ah, we become friends? Yes yes OK." Lol...so I guess it's normal to ask someone if they want to become your friend. It sounds so funny to me, I guess because there is no real definition of what a friend is, and you generally don't hear that in the US after elementary school. It's funny how something that we regard as rude or childish, in another culture can be polite and mature.

-Often times instead of saying thank you, or when accepting something, the person says "excuse me", as if to say, excuse me that I have no shame to say no.

-In the US, unless the meeting is business oriented, I often find that "I'll be there in 5 minutes" can mean anywhere between 5-15 minutes or longer depending on the person. But in Japan, you tell the person the maximum amount of time it will take you, and the unwritten rule is to arrive 5 minutes early! I found this out when a friend came to pick me up and said he would arrive in 5 minutes. I got there in 5 minutes exactly and he asked, "where were you?"

Even though I don't seem to meet many new people often because of the sports teams I'm already involved with and work obligations, God has been gracious to give me a chance to talk about him and pray for the sick from time to time in special ways.

A few weeks ago, another player came to my Japanese soccer team practice injured, and I asked to pray for him. He laughingly accepted, and after had a touched look in his face as he thanked me. I asked him how he felt, and he said he couldn't tell right then about the injury, but that he had a good feeling inside. The very least I like to try to tell people in these situations is that God loves them and has a plan for their lives, so I told him, and heard him turn around and tell another player not long after, "Hey, Jesse just prayed for me in English!" He has since been especially kind to me.

Christimony.org is not getting new members; it's been very stagnant for a long time. But every time I log on, there are more people who are watching the videos from somewhere, so for that I'm grateful and have continued to add. Some of these stories are just incredible, encouraging, and wonderful. I guess it's good if people aren't signing up, because it must mean more non-believers are accessing the site (or so I hope!).

Noah's Ark has been a blast in many ways, and is going very well, although we don't have any new students. The one full time student has been learning a lot, getting easier to deal with, and growing on me. The part time student we got from summer school has actually been coming quite often, maybe 2-3 times a week. I'm learning a lot about patience, but God has been encouraging me every day. I had a great chance to feel a glimpse of God's attitude towards me when I listen to him, through this child. I asked her to do something and when she did it with delight, I felt great inside. It was a great rewarding feeling and made a warmness fill me.

The part timer's mom usually stays with us for most of the day because she drives about 2 hours to get here every time she comes. She has a really cool testimony which I will write at the bottom here. I saw that she had an ankle brace on, so I asked to pray for her. Sometimes I feel hesitant in a church setting, for one because Christians just seem to get less miracle healing (in my experience and from what I've heard), and because I don't want to discourage anyone. But in front of the volunteers I prayed for her, and she said the pain left. "I'm surprised! Wow!" She exclaimed. "Yeah, it's gone! You're like a magician!" To which of course I replied that I am not a magician, I'm a "warlock" ;). "I said praise God! There is one translation that calls God "The Lord our healer"." I never get tired of that.

The CAJ (local all-grade school) soccer season started up again, but this time it's the middle schoolers. All last month the Pastor was in the USA getting financial and prayer support, speaking at 12 different churches in several different states. That meant there was extra work around the church, so I couldn't get out as much, but now that he's back I've begun coaching again. It's a lot of fun to be a big brother, set an example, and be able to boldly talk about God to the kids. It's sanctioned and kosher, because it's a Christian school, but not all the students come from Christian families. There was an amazing counselor I had at FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) when I was around that age of 12 or 13, that really influenced me. I want to get to know these kids, and be a similar memory in their heads. There is also a short term missionary who got here a month ago and will be leaving a month before I finish, from Prince Edward Island I've gotten to know. He's a 21 year old guy who is really interested in sports ministry, and wanted to do this kind of thing for a while. So he also coaches, but with volleyball too, and basketball when it comes around. It's been refreshing to connect with someone I can relate to well.

A couple of days ago, I was told that I was welcomed and wanted to stay for another year here, but if I were going to do that, that I needed to let them know by the end of this month. This is something I really need prayer for. Although I feel drawn to come back and work (and pay off my loans) or pursue higher education, I need to make sure I shouldn't stay longer in Japan. The church attendance is still struggling, but we are staying positive.

I realize I didn't add a testimony to last month’s blog, but this month I will tell the story of the woman's ankle that was healed that I mentioned above. She was in a bad relationship and in all kinds of worry, fear, and doubt. She realized that she had to get away from her two children's father, and didn't know what to do, but she heard a voice tell her, you need to separate from this man, I will take care of you. She moved away, but he found her and was harassing her. So in desperation she prayed and said, "God show me what to do! Help me!" That night she had a dream, and in the dream she heard a voice tell her to open the yellow pages and call the number. She didn't know what it meant, but felt it was a guiding voice. She woke up and flipped the yellow pages open, only to find that it ironically opened to a list of local churches. Now mind you, even in the US yellow pages, the amount of pages decided to churches is just a fraction of the total, but even more so in Japan. She was thrown into confusion, saying, why God? If it were temples, or shrines she would be OK, but why a church? So she called and was moved by the Spirit to immediately become a believer. Since she did, she's experienced many more amazing things God has shown her, and her heart is filled with peace. She also used to see demons regularly, at one point she said every night, but now they are all gone. She was also able to defeat sin, condemnation, and rejection. She is a shining light! GBY

1. Jesse Newsletter (10-2-12)

Prayer requests: Continued progress with language acquisition Drive from Christ for all my motivation Decision making for next year To correctly choose between outreach opportunities More miracles and divine appointments with the people her...
    Date2012.10.02
    Read More
  2. Forkkio Newsletter (9-30-12)

FORKKIO NEWSLETTER The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even you...
    Date2012.09.30
    Read More
  3. Jesse Newsletter (9-2-12)

Summer school and Vacation Bible School ended on August 17th, and since then we've been re-calibrating, gearing up for September. After a fun and successful summer school, one student has been enrolled in our Noah's Ark preschool full-time....
    Date2012.09.04
    Read More
  4. Alice Tsai newsletter (8-31-12)

Hi Everybody, I just wanted to write a brief update everyone on how things our going with our outreach team to PNG. We just left yesterday and are transiting through for a night in the Philippines before heading back to Kona, Hawaii. Our ti...
    Date2012.09.04
    Read More
  5. Forkkio Newsletter (8-30-12)

Greetings Dearest Brothers and Sisters! We are now in the last month of your summer and here in Ghana the close of the rainy season. Unfortunately, here in the Volta Region the rainfall has been scarce. Thus, much of the farm crops have suf...
    Date2012.09.04
    Read More
  6. David & Lila Chang Newsletter (8-24-12)

Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ: Beautiful beaches and breath-taking mountains! But South Thailand is so much more than that. As we recently took a field trip to South Thailand in July 2012 to survey the ministry work there among OMF In...
    Date2012.08.24
    Read More
  7. Won Family letter (8-10-12)

Thank you for your prayers! Our first Learning Center outreach was a success as I led four teachers and two students from The Learning Center to Apia, Western Samoa. Before we left, we were informed that the majority of the children in the ...
    Date2012.08.10
    Read More
  8. Forkkio Newsletter (7-30-12)

FORKKIO NEWSLETTER VISIT OUR BLOGSPOT AT http://jamesanddenese.blogspot.com Greetings Dearest Friends, Thank you so much for your prayers and support! You are such a blessing to us. Thank you for taking part in our ministry. We recently att...
    Date2012.07.31
    Read More
  9. Jesse Newsletter (7-24-12)

Here is my latest blog entry. First are my prayer requests: More discipline To draw all my spiritual sustenance from Christ not circumstance Language acquisition The people mentioned in my blog Wholeness of health One way to translate mushi...
    Date2012.07.27
    Read More
  10. David & Lila Chang e-mail (7-16-12)

Dear prayer partners, We wished to send a specific prayer request for you to lift up for us this week. Tuesday, July 17th, we will be flying down to the southern part of Thailand for a week. We will be traveling to various locations where ou...
    Date2012.07.17
    Read More
  11. Won family Newsletter (7-6-12)

Hello everyone, I just wanted to send out a quick prayer request to cover us on our trip to Samoa. Now that Chong Ho has returned from Nigeria, it is my turn to go out to the field for 3 weeks. Today, I will be leading a team of 4 teachers ...
    Date2012.07.06
    Read More
  12. Alice Tsai newsletter (7-2-12)

Hi All, Thank you so much for your committed support and prayers. I wanted to communicate an update on where things are at with our outreach team and ask for your prayer support for wisdom, grace, and unity for us. Our team of 6 were suppose...
    Date2012.07.06
    Read More
  13. Jesse Newsletter (6-30-12)

Prayer requests: The people I've met here coming to live with Jesus -Proverbs 2 Wisdom and Understanding -Language acquisition -The Father's will with Noah's Ark Int. -For the volunteers (Jinsoo, Solmi, Min kyong), the leadership Mr. and Mr...
    Date2012.07.03
    Read More
  14. James & Denese Forkkio June Newsletter

Greetings Everyone!!! Well, here we are in our fourth month of our spiritual journey with our Father in Ghana. We would like to thank everyone for all of their prayers and support. The gathering of former Trokosi women went quite well on the...
    Date2012.06.27
    Read More
  15. AliceTsai News letter - June

Brief Recap of the Past Few Weeks Our Asia Pacific DTS school is about to head out to Thailand, China/N.K., Fiji, Saipan, Tahiti, and Papua New Guinea next week! We have all been preparing our hearts and getting the necessary logist...
    Date2012.06.22
    Read More
  16. David & Lila Chang's News Letter June_2012

Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ: We have passed our 6th month mark here in Thailand! We have many updates and prayer requests we would like to share with you through snippets below. As always, many thanks for your partnership & praye...
    Date2012.06.21
    Read More
  17. James & Denese Forkkio May newsletter

FORKKIO NEWSLETTER It is now 3 months since we set foot in Ghana. As we reflect on the months gone by, we realize that there is nothing extraordinary about us at all. Initially, we thought that our spiritual growth had progressed to a level...
    Date2012.05.30
    Read More
  18. Jong Ho Won (5-16-12)

Dear Partners, It has been indeed a long time since we communicated our general updates. We cannot believe we are in our 10th year of serving God through Youth With A Mission. Thank you for your trust in our family and for the continued sup...
    Date2012.05.16
    Read More
  19. Chong Ho Won_Nigeria trip 2012

The Won Family Update Serving God through Youth With A Mission, University of the Nations Hello everyone, Thank you so much for all your prayers and encouraging words as I traveled to Nigeria and back. Many of you are wondering what the pur...
    Date2012.05.13
    Read More
  20. James & Denese Forkkio Newsletter for April 2012

April 2012 News from the Forkkios Greetings dearest brothers and sisters! We have finally been able to move to Sogakope so we can devote more of our time to the Trokosi ministry. Our first objective is to find better ways to minister to the...
    Date2012.05.13
    Read More
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
/ 5
SCROLL TOP